Just in case you haven’t seen my other salad recipe posts, I ONLY posts salads I think are really flavorful and delicious-tasting, because I myself am not a huge salad person. That being said, I really think you’ll enjoy this recipe as much as I did- it’s light and refreshing, seasoned and herby (I think that’s a word? lol), and SO good for you!! You get tons of fiber from all the vegetables and quinoa, plus tons of protein and omega-3s from the tuna and quinoa. Satisfying and filling 👍
Serves: 4 Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup / 6 oz / 170 gr quinoa
- 2 cups / 500 ml water
- 2 (5 oz / 140 gr) cans tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup / 5.3 oz / 150 gr cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups / 7 oz / 200 gr mesclun salad mix
- 2 large handfuls mint leaves, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Hot sauce for added flavor (optional- I used Cholula)
Directions: Place quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse thoroughly with cool water for about 2 minutes. Rub and swish the quinoa with your hand while rinsing. Drain.
Place quinoa and water in a small saucepan and season with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer, and cover. Cook until all water is absorbed, about 16 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, fluff with a fork and let cool.
To make the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes (if using) in a small bowl.
To make the salad, add the greens in a large bowl and toss them with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Add tuna, quinoa, tomatoes, onion, and mint. Toss through dressing and season. Enjoy!
Calories: 321, Total Fat: 13g, Total Carbs: 36g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 17g
*Inspired by The Iron You