If I’m being completely honest, a month ago, I would have never posted a recipe with tofu. Everything about it irked me…the jiggly texture, the bland taste, and most of all, the case of water it comes enclosed in lol 😝
BUT, after taking a Thai cooking class here in Thailand, I learned how to transform this block of mystery in the most delicious way: by flash-frying it in vegetable oil! The result came out crispy and meaty, making it such a perfect meat/protein substitute when trying to maintain a vegetarian diet (which has been difficult as someone that tries to avoid meat for humane reasons, rather than actually disliking the taste of it).
If I’m gonna be honest again, I was apprehensive to post this recipe simply because the photos aren’t up to my usual standards (it’s very hard to stage my shots as a food blogger when living out of other people’s kitchens as I travel & with limited supplies👎). However, I promise these lettuce wraps taste 100X better than they look!! Plus, they’re super healthy and SO easy to make.
Serves: 2 Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger; minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (Only use vegetable oil, not olive oil, because of its high smoke point)
- 1 cup firm tofu; cut into thin strips (the thinner the strip, the crispier the tofu!)
- 1 bell pepper; cut into thin slices
- 1/2 large carrot; shredded
- 1/2 cup mushrooms; cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 head bib lettuce; separated into individual leaves
- Optional: fresh herbs for topping, Sriracha/hot sauce, fresh tomatoes (I personally did not prefer this added touch, but some may like it for the added freshness)
Directions: Once all ingredients are prepped, heat the vegetable oil, garlic and ginger in a pan over medium heat until fragrant.
Add the tofu to the pan and cook it submerged in the oil, flipping until it’s golden and crispy on all sides. Then, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add the vegetables to the empty pan and cook over medium heat until tender, about 1-2 minutes (you still want them to be crispy to maintain a crunchy texture!). Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the tofu back to the pan and pour the soy sauce over the ingredients. Stir fry the tofu and vegetables, stirring continuously for about a minute to cover all the ingredients in the sauce.
Assemble the tofu mixture onto the individual lettuce leaves then top with any additional toppings (I really recommend Sriracha if you like spice!). Serve hot and enjoy 😊
Calories: 255, Total Fat: 19g, Total Carbs: 9g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 13g